Thursday, May 30, 2013

Recipe: Health-IER Blueberry Scones


I love the kind of breakfast where you can grab and go.   That's not to say that I don't like to sit down with a hearty breakfast platter of scrambled eggs, Belgian waffles drowned in maple syrup, etc. but for those busy mornings when you just need to grab and go, scones are my favorite.

Because I'm a blueberry fanatic, I make my scones with blueberries every chance I get.  You can definitely substitute other fruits or fillings such as cranberries or raisins.  I'd add orange zest to the mix to give a hint of citrus.

Ingredients
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tbsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
half a stick of butter softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 - 1.5 cups of Greek yogurt (I use Chobani Vanilla flavor)
About 1 cup of blueberries

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Thoroughly mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
3. Cut in the softened butter.
4. Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract.
5. GENTLY fold in the blueberries.
6. On a lightly floured surface, press the dough into a rectangular log.  Cut the log into little triangles.

(Please ignore my picture borders.  I'm going a little nuts playing with a new camera app)

7. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is beautifully golden brown.
8. Let cool.  Can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.

Pair with jam, jelly, or my favorite, lemon curd.

No comments:

Post a Comment