In observance of Memorial Day and the BBQ's galore, here is my recipe for carne asada. This recipe is made to serve 2 so increase the amount for ingredients as appropriate.
1 lb beef flank
Juice from half of an orange
Juice from 1 lemon
1/8 cup of soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp of chili powder
handful of cilantro
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp cumin
1 small onion, sliced (I had some scallions that I used alternatively)
1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Thoroughly mix.
2. Let marinade sit for 10 minutes so that ingredients "marry."
3. Score the flank steak across the grain. This helps the marinade to absorb into the meat.
4. Place the meat into a sealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade into the bag. Massage the meat with the marinade.
5. Marinade the meat for at least 4 hours. Overnight is best.
6. Grill to medium rare. Let the meat rest with a tent foil before slicing into the beef.