Monday, July 22, 2013

Recipe: German Pancakes aka Dutch Baby



The first time I was introduced to German Pancakes, otherwise known as a Dutch Baby, was at Plum's Cafe in the City of Costa Mesa in Southern California.  Four of us had to dig in in order to polish off the delectable goodness.  I love all things pancakes and waffles so I needed to make sure that I can have access to this whenever it suits me.

The difference between this recipe and what I had at Plum's Cafe is that at Plum's the lemon is squeezed onto the pancake whereas lemon is included in my batter.  The other minor difference (just minor!) is that I kept this on the healthier side by not including bacon.  Yes, I know, blasphemous, but I can't keep clogging my arteries!



Special Equipment:
10 inch skillet (approximate) - preferably a cast iron



Ingredients:
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk (I used Lactaid since I'm lactose intolerant and it turned out fine)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp lemon juice
lemon zest from 2 lemons
2 tbsp melted butter, COOLED!
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
confectioner sugar
any fruits you like
dollop of Greek Yogurt (I prefer Chobani Vanilla flavor)
cooking spray


Instructions

1. Heat oven to 450.

2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, melted & cooled (you don't want scrambled eggs!) butter, sugar, and vanilla extract.

3. Add the flour and whisk until smooth.  No bumps, no clumps!

4. Spray your oven safe skillet with cooking oil.  Pour the batter in.  Place skillet into the oven for about 15 minutes or until the sides are golden.

5. Top with fruit, confectioner's sugar, and yogurt.



You can also skip the fruit and use jam/jelly, nutella, BACON(!) or anything else that tickles your fancy.



Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment