Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Highlights from Europe: London Edition

Happy September 1st, my lovelies!

So I've been remiss about posting photos of my holiday from this summer.  If you follow my blog and or Facebook page, you'll know I went on holiday this past summer to Europe: London, Brussels, and Paris.  I've always dreamed about visiting London and Paris since I was a little girl.  The culture, the history, the fashion, the iconic landmarks - all so very romantic for an impressionable little girl.  This past summer I fulfilled one of my biggest dreams and checked off another item on my bucket list when I landed at Heathrow Airport.

Trafalgar Square
That's Nelson's Column
This commemorates the Battle of Trafalgar (1805)

The National Gallery Museum, the fifth most visited art museum in the world

Buckingham Palace

The Changing of the Guards Ceremony at Buckingham Palace

The Royal Guards played popular songs originating from the UK such as the theme song from Austin Powers, Adele's Set Fire to the Rain, and Adele's Skyfall.

Recognize that balcony?  It's where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge shared their famous kiss after marrying at Westminster Abbey.


Afternoon Tea at the Wolseley at Piccadilly Circus
Love the 1920s decor

Earl Grey tea in the UK is remarkably different (and better!) than any Earl Grey tea I've had in the United States.  In fact, I was never a tea drinker until I experienced afternoon tea in London.

Speaking of tea, we also visited the renowned Fortnum and Tea.  I loved looking at all of the gorgeous displays.  2013 is the Queen's 60th Coronation Anniversary.  Fortnum made a number of items to honor the Queen.

You can't come to London without shopping here.

The Victoria Memorial, a sculpture dedicated to Queen Victoria
This is right across from the gates of Buckingham Palace

Where the Prime Minister is - Downing Street
  
Hello Big Ben.  The bell is actually what's named Big Ben, not the clock

Westminster Abbey

Took a day trip out to Leavesden to tour the Harry Potter Studio!  Believe me, it was a great tour!

The Great Hall

Diagon Alley

Hogwarts

Took another day trip out to Bath.  Visited the Roman Baths.  The City of Bath is very similar to Firenze (Florence, Italy)

See the bridge in the distance?  Bath's own Ponte Vecchio (THE Ponte Vecchio is in Florence, Italy)

One of the 7 Wonders of the World: Stonehenge.  Took a day trip out to see this and can mark this off of my bucket list


Overall, I very much enjoyed my time in London and plan on going back as there are lots more that we weren't able to see due to time constraints.  Hope you all enjoyed this post giving highlights of the London leg of my trip.  For all of you foodies out there, click HERE to read about my dining experience at Gordon Ramsay's Petrus restaurant.  Thereafter, click HERE to read bout my dining experience at the Ebury Wine Bar in the Belgravia neighborhood.

Keep following me as I take you to Brussels next...

No comments:

Post a Comment