Tuesday, September 24, 2013

First Impression: Urban Decay Naked Skin

Image source: Rank & Style


Advertised as a weightless ultra definition foundation, Urban Decay's Naked Skin Foundation is available in 18 shades designated by a number system.  Shades ending in ".0" are for those with warmer skin tones, and shades ending in ".5" are for those with cooler skin tones.  The packaging is a sleek glass pump bottle that reminds me of the YSL Touche Eclat Foundation.

Not only is this foundation formulated without: parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, GMOs, and triclosan, but it boasts of a list of nourishing ingredients: Matrixyl 3000 (anti-wrinkle peptide), Litchiderm, green tea, Vitamin E, and sodium hyaluronate.  More pluses: vegan and cruelty free.

This foundation is more liquid-y than any foundation I've used.  Before applying, it is recommended to shake the bottle to allow the mixing balls inside to thoroughly mix the formula.  The foundation blended beautifully with my Real Techniques buffing brush.  A little goes a long way - I dabbed my brush into a little less than a quarter size diameter of product and it was enough coverage for my entire face, ears, and neck.  Although advertised as a light coverage foundation, it is buildable to medium coverage.

As far as the finish, this foundation is advertised to give a luminous and demi-matte finish.  Be warned, however, that it takes about 15 minutes to completely dry.  It felt very dewy when I finished applying and buffed out the foundation.  Initially I thought the advertisement of a demi-matte finish was erroneous.  However, once the foundation set and completely dried on my skin, it did, in fact, give a demi-matte / satin finish.  True to its word, the foundation felt weightless and did not leave a heavy feeling on my face throughout the day.

How is this foundation's longevity?  It provided coverage for a solid 6 hours.  After 6 hours, my t-zone needed retouching.

Would I wear this foundation to a special event? Yes - it has no SPF, which translates to no flashback in photos.  However, I'd layer a sunscreen underneath this foundation during the daytime for protection.

Verdict: Tres bon first impression!

No comments:

Post a Comment