Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 2013 Ipsy Glambag!


Mid-month marks the arrival of my monthly Ipsy Glambag.  After the few sneak peeks I saw online I was extremely excited for this month's Glambag.  This month's theme is Glamour Academy, reflected on the logo of the makeup bag.  Anything Glamour suits me just fine!

I have been dying to try Michael Todd products and Urban Decay's Revolution Lipsticks based on the rave reviews I've heard and read about.  Lo and behold Ipsy delivered them straight to my door!

 I was extremely excited to find out a Michael Todd product was going to be in this month's glambag.  I have been hearing oodles about this line.  Made for all skin types except sensitive skin, this face mask uses pumpkin mixed with glycolic acid to exfoliate your skin.  This line boasts to be organic so that's a huge plus since you all know what a freak I am when it comes to the ingredients I put on my face.  (Read about that HERE) Some users reported a stinging sensation, which I suspect is due to the fact that they have sensitive skin.
As for my first impression, I have combination skin and did not experience the stinging sensation at all.  The smell of pumpkin reminds me of Thanksgiving for obvious reasons.  I kept the mask on for 10 minutes and then rinsed it off.  I love how the product easily washes off leaving no residue.  Did it make my skin feel smoother?  Yes.  Did it hydrate my skin?  Sure.  Did it perform any better in terms of hydration than my other masks?  Not particularly.

Good product but will I purchase it?  I'm not so sure.  It's affordable, especially with the 30% off coupon for Ipsy members but...I'm willing to spend more money for  GlamGlow's Super Clearing Mud Treatment.

I saw that Ipsy gave the Jojoba Charcoal Scrub to certain Ipsy users.  I wish I was given a sample of that instead of the Pumpkin Mask.  I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to GlamGlow's Super Clearing Mud.  

Still a good product but I'm still looking.


Unless you've been living under a rock, you will have heard about Smashbox's primer by now.  I know there are two schools of thought when it comes to primer but based on what I've observed, I tend to believe it depends on your skin.  Foundation just seems to last on my face so this didn't help my foundation last any longer.  However, my mom loves it.  It really does fill in her lines and wrinkles and makes her foundation go on smoother.  The texture is smooth and silky and never once broke me or my mother out.


I'm not a mascara gal - I'm allergic to most mascaras out there.  I was intrigued by the idea of "lash booster" mascara by Pixi Beauty, but upon seeing a paraben in the ingredients list I nixed the idea of even trying this.


Mica Beauty Cosmetics are advertised to be free of preservatives, chemicals, dyes, talc, oils, and other fillers.  This eyeshadow in the color bronze can be mixed with clear lip gloss, clear mascara, and clear nail polish to add pigment to the lips, eyes, and nails.  

This is how it swatches on my hand.  Gorgeous, huh?
However, even with a base on my eyes, the pigmentation didn't transfer as well onto my lids as it did on my hand.  Easy fix: spritz MAC's fix plus and go with a wet technique for more pigmentation.
Overall, I like this eyeshadow because of the good ingredients and the gorgeous color.  I'm all about the neutrals!

Last but not least, Urban Decay's Revolution Lipstick in color 69.
Sidenote: Urban Decay just can't resist with risque names, even when it comes to lipstick (hello, Naked Palette anyone?)! 
Um HELLO creamy, nourishing, hydrating, long-lasting, and PIGMENTED!  One coat is seriously all that's needed for a full coverage lip product.  69 is a gorgeous bright red with pink undertones.  I usually gravitate towards deeper reds so I was surprised this was so easy to wear for a brighter red.  
I WANT THIS LIPSTICK IN EVERY COLOR!!!

Overall, I'm quite happy with this month's Ipsy Glambag, especially because I think I hit gold with the Urban Decay lipstick.  I got to try two products that I've been dying to try (UD lipstick and Michael Todd product), got a sample size to take for travel of a product that's been tried and true (Smashbox), and was introduced to a new line of eyeshadows comprised of healthy ingredients (MICA).  I wouldn't have used the mascara regardless of what brand it is due to my allergies anyway.  Always a bonus when you can store great products in a cute makeup bag like the one that came this month.  A huge merci beaucoup, Ipsy!

Click HERE if you want to sign up for Ipsy Glambags!

2 comments:

  1. Ok you totally got me to sign up! Unfortunately i'm on a waiting list, but I really really want this specific ipsy glambag!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love sample subscriptions! I'm so in love with the urban decay lipstick I got

      Delete