Monday, July 8, 2013

Recipe: Healthy Buttermilk Oven "Fried" Chicken


I'm a glutton for good ol' fried chicken just like anyone else.  I love me some fried chicken.  However, my arteries hate me.  So we've come to a compromise.  I get my "fried" chicken fix by using panko bread to bread my chicken, and my arteries don't get into a clogging mess because I bake the chicken instead of deep fry it in a pool of oil.

Wet Ingredients
2 cups of buttermilk
1 tbsp of hot sauce (adjust to taste)
1 tbsp of garlic powder
salt and pepper
lemon juice from half of a lemon
3 lbs of chicken (whichever parts you prefer - I prefer drumsticks and thighs)

Mix buttermilk, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper and lemon juice.  Marinade chicken in the buttermilk mixture overnight

Dry Ingredients
3 cups of panko bread crumbs
1 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tbsp of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
1.5 tbsp of garlic powder
salt and pepper
Olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375.

1.  Combine all dry ingredients.
2. Dredge each piece of chicken through the dry ingredients.  Make sure each piece is thoroughly coated with panko crust.
3. Arrange the chicken onto a baking sheet and spray the chicken with the olive oil cooking spray.
4. Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife.

*I love using olive oil spray instead of soaking the panko bread crumbs in melted butter.  The panko bread crumbs will still achieve a beautiful golden crisp color without all of the fat from butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment