Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Recipe: Hoisin BBQ Chicken Wings
As I've stated in a previous blog post: I love chicken wings. I love them every which way cooked. I came home from a long day of work to a package of chicken in the refrigerator and the below ingredients in my pantry. This is the result of beggars not being choosers.
Anyone who knows me knows I prefer to eat healthy food that doesn't compromise in flavor. With this recipe, you will be able to enjoy crispy chicken wings that make you feel like you're eating fried chicken without the unhealthy aspect of actual frying. Many thanks to Chef Ellie Krieger for this healthy "fried" chicken alternative.
Hoisin BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp caramel sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1.5 tsp fish sauce
1. Combine all of the above ingredients. Thoroughly mix and adjust to taste.
Chicken prep (1-2 pounds of chicken wings, split at joint)
1. Place chicken into a huge pot and fill with water to cover all of the chicken.
2. Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Drain.
3. Place chicken under the broiler oven until the chicken skin starts to blister and crisp up.
You can stop here if you prefer to dip your chicken wings into the bbq sauce. However, if you want the sauce on the chicken...
4. Mix the chicken wings with the bbq sauce. Place chicken back under the broiler for 1 more minute.